Details about SSRN paper submission
Once logged in at http://hq.ssrn.com, you can change your Password or User ID, if you so choose, by clicking on the hotlinks located on the Welcome page.
To Submit a paper:
You will need the title, the names of all authors along with their affiliations and email addresses, and an abstract of the submission. If the paper has already been published, you will need that information for the "reference" section. If you want to upload the full-text paper, you will need to have it in PDF format on your computer. If you are missing some information, you can still begin the submission now and come back to finish it later. PLEASE NOTE: submissions must include a title and abstract in English. **Step 5e is very important to make sure that the paper is added to your Working Paper Series (PIP Papers) page.
1. Log into your SSRN account at SSRN's User HeadQuarters: http://hq.ssrn.com.
2. Click the "My Papers" link in the menu to the left.
3. To enter a new submission, click the "Start New Submission" button.
4. After reading the brief copyright message, click "Continue" to begin entering information.
5. The basic procedure is the same throughout. If you move your cursor up and down through the middle of the screen, you will see a bright yellow box which highlights each section. Clicking on any yellow box will expand the area into an editable field. After entering/modifying the information, click "save" in the upper right-hand corner of that box, and it will revert to its original appearance. If you make a mistake, you can always return to a section to correct it. Any time you see a question mark icon, you can move your cursor over it for additional clarification. At any time, you can refer to the status box on the right to determine if any required steps are still incomplete.
Although the above may be all you need to get started, here are some more detailed instructions for the individual sections, from top to bottom:
5a.) "Upload full text document?" (at the top of the page) - This is optional. If you choose to upload a paper, it should be in PDF format, and the name of the file should not contain any spaces or unusual characters. Click the section once to expand, then "Browse" to find the file on your computer, and finally click "save" to begin the upload and close the box. (You can use these same steps to replace a PDF that has already been uploaded.) Once uploaded, you can verify the file by clicking the "Acrobat" icon while this section is expanded.
5b.) Title - Click to expand, enter the title, and click "save".
5c.) Authors - Click to expand. Enter the author's last name in the search field, and part of the first name if there are too many results. Select the correct author from the drop-down box. If the author is not found, click the "Not Found" button and follow the prompts to enter the author's information. You can move an author up or down in the order by clicking the arrows to the left of the name. PLEASE NOTE: By default, the submitter is selected as Author. IMPORTANT: If you are submitting as an organization, you must click the Assistant radio button to remove yourself as Author. Click "save" when complete.
5d.) Paper date - Click to expand, enter the date the paper was written, and click "save".
**5e.) References - Click to expand. By default, WPS (Working Paper Series) is selected (select "Yes" for the second question if the paper has appeared in a working paper series). If the paper is a final, published version, select "APS" (Accepted Paper Series). Start typing the name of the series, journal, or book in the search field, and select the correct item from the drop-down box. In your case, you will search on "University of Verona." Once selected, you will then be able to add the paper's number.
5f.) Abstract - Click to expand. Type or copy and paste the abstract into the Abstract Body field. Keywords and JEL Codes are both optional, as an aid to help users find the submission when searching the SSRN eLibrary. This section is also where you can opt to make the paper privately available, which means it will not be found via a search on SSRN, and by default will not be listed on your Author Page. Click "save" when this section is complete.
5g.) eJournal Classifications - Click to expand. You can select up to 12 subject matter eJournals, or you can select to have SSRN classify for you. If you know the name of the SSRN eJournal you wish to classify into, type it into the Search field and select it from the drop-down box. To browse the available topic choices, you can expand the list under "Browse SSRN eLibrary" by clicking the plus sign (+) next to the appropriate network. To select a classification, click the checkbox by the relevant eJournal. You can move your cursor over the classification names to see a more detailed description if you wish. As you select eJournals, they will appear in a list at the top of this section. If you change your mind, you can remove any classification by clicking the red minus (-) button to the right of the eJournal's name.
6. When everything is entered, and there are no "Incomplete" sections in the status box, you can click "Submit to SSRN". A notice will pop up asking you to certify that you authorize SSRN to post and distribute the submission. Check the box and click "Submit to SSRN". You can then return to your "My Papers" page and you will see the submission listed below "In Process Papers" as either "Submitted" or "In Review" until it is reviewed by SSRN staff. After we have a chance to review the submission, the status will then change to "Approved" and the submission will be moved into your Publicly Available Papers section (or Privately Available Papers section, if that is what you specified). If the status changes at some point to "Distributed", you can click on the word to see exactly which journals your submission has been scheduled to be announced in.
If you find that you need to make any changes to your submission after you have already submitted it to us but it hasn't been approved yet, you may reopen the submission by clicking on the "Edit" button (please remember that this puts the paper back into "Not Submitted" status). Make the necessary changes using the same procedure outlined above, and be sure to click "Submit to SSRN" again when you are done.
If you have any problems or questions, please feel free to phone our office, and they will gladly walk you through the submission process. We can be reached at 585-442-8170 or (toll-free in the U.S.) 1-877-777-6435, Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. EST/EDT. You can also reach us via email at